August 18, 2011

Never leave your phone lying around.

Another week, and another RAW.

Welcome back to the newly named Aussie Mouthpiece blog. I am the Aussie Mouthpiece (formerly known as the Armchair Mouthpiece), and I'm here to talk about what I liked about RAW.

If you haven't read one of my posts before, this isn't a minute by minute recap of what happened on the show. Basically, what I do is talk about what I feel are the highlights, and what could potentially be in the cards.


So onto the show.

Coming off of Summerslam, which left us with more questions than answers I feel, this show needed to be top notch. We needed to hear from HHH, Punk, Nash, and Cena.

We got that.

But what we didn't get was a great show I don't think.

It felt like they didn't know where they are going with this angle yet. HHH is still in this weird funk of not having his role made completely clear yet..we're being given this 'corporate' good for business version of HHH.. but hopefully this storyline will give us a clearer perspective on where the HHH character stands. I don't think the blend of heel/face works for everyone, and he is one of those guys that it doesn't work for. Edge, CM Punk, Cena it works for.

So HHH started the show, apologised, claimed no prior knowledge of his actions at Summerslam. If they are going down this road of it eventually being HHH, for whatever reason, it kinda feels like we've been down this road before.
When Shawn Michaels returned, in 2002 there was an angle where he was attacked from behind and his head was put through a car window.  HHH claimed no knowledge, said he'd find out who did it.. and eventually it turned out to be HHH who attacked Shawn.
It is slightly different, but it's still the bad guy feigning innocence. I for one hope they don't go with HHH as the "guy who sent the text".

Alberto Del Rio is champion huh? .. I've always really disliked the elitist champions/wrestlers. He's good, sure. He has entertaining matches, and I think having him cash in the MiTB helps move Punk into a different level of his feud, away from John Cena, which means Cena may get more focused towards The Rock (Survivor Series is coming up fairly soon remember), and Punk can start "fighting the power". So to speak.
So Alberto Del Rio is champion.. I say he has the belt for at most, a couple of months.

They gave him a lot of mic time though, was a decent promo. Especially.. "Alberto, what are you gonna do today? I feel like beating up Rey Mysterio!". I just don't see him as the face of the company. Which is kinda what the WWE champion is, even more than the World Heavyweight champion at the moment.

Now, you may wonder why I don't talk about the matches a lot during these RAW posts. I was wondering that myself for a while, but I realised something after watching Raven's latest blog. He talked about why he watches wrestling, and that there are 2 types of people who watch wrestling. Those who watch more for the actual wrestling, and those who watch for the episodic storytelling. You can't tell a good story without the matches, but the matches need to have some kind of story behind them to make them really interesting. And I fall into that category of watching for the episodic storytelling.
That's why.

So Morrison and R-Truth have a falls count anywhere match. And he cut a bad, terrible, boring promo before the match.. Morrison is fairly good in the ring, but he's not awesome. There are other people on the current WWE roster that can do what he does, and more.

Scott Armstrong counts a lot slower than other referees.

The match was decent, but I'm not a huge fan of Morrison, I get a bit bored watching him. R-Truth needs a more serious promo or something. He's great in the ring, but the spiders and the c.o.n... spiracy thing makes it seem like he's a comedic character, when he could easily be so much more. I do like the little jimmy thing though.

One thing i don't like about this falls count anywhere match, is that they spent too much time out of the ring. John Morrison is supposed to be a high flyer right? Truth has a lot of moves that he hits after coming off of the ropes right? How do you do that, if you're out of the ring 80 percent of the time? Think about it.


Miz is great. I like Subway. Sure, that was basically just a big Ad for subway, but it was entertaining.

All i'm going to say about the divas match, is why the hell aren't Kelly and Eve in a match with the people they're feuding with? Bellas are not entertaining. That match, was not entertaining.

Oh hey look Kelly kelly ... who's leg was worked on for the whole match.. is walking with no trouble at all. ........

So this is the part of RAW that i'll be talking the most about. Kevin Nash, and CM Punk.

I am a huge Kevin Nash fan. When i started watching wrestling in 1996/97 he was the guy that became my favourite. So I was really excited about him being back on RAW.

What the hell happened?

He doesn't sound like Kevin Nash.. there was nothing goin on.. he sounds like he's on something. I like the explanation, "just business". Nash has been known for doing "business", so it makes sense.
Like I said, i'm a huge Nash fan, so it was disappointing that he wasn't, at least to me, at his best.

Punk on the other hand, was at his best.

I keep getting worried that the whole "what will he say" thing is going to become a bit stale, like, it'll just become a little boring, a little less shock value, but he keeps pulling out these brilliant lines.

"If Triple H told you to jump off a bridge would you? Because I think that would be good for business".

CM Punk is so good on the mic right now. Scratch that, he's been great on the mic for years, but now we're really getting to see how good he is, because he's been given a bit of freedom. He, and I'm sure not in a malicious way, ran rings around Nash mic wise.

I read that a lot of the little jabs etc. in this promo weren't talked about before hand. You could kind of see Kevin Nash getting pissed off at a few of the things Punk said, but for some reason, it didn't really come across that way in his voice. I just feel like Nash wasn't all there or something, he could be so much better.
He wasn't terrible by any stretch, don't get me wrong. Nash is awesome. He will always be awesome to me.

Punk is on a different level though.

I really hope the text message he read out was real. That was brilliant. Line of the night.

So really, to sum up, Punk was amazing, Nash seemed unsure of what he was saying, but he's still Big Daddy Cool when it all boils down to it, and that means I want to see more.
Also, Nash's goatee is awesome, even if it's a little reminiscent of Undertaker when he was in the ministry.

My only concern is that this is all going to end up a lot like the "Higher Power" story line. What i mean by that is all that's going to happen, the big payoff is that everyone is doing Vince McMahon's bidding. That would be boring.

I like that all the suspects are being shown, and the little backstage segment with Laurinitis and Nash was a great example of that. Now we're thinking.. Laurinitis is Vince's yes-man.. maybe it's Vince! Then later on Stephanie is in Triple H's office.. maybe it's Stephanie!
Regardless, it's interesting, and that's what's important. I'm almost at that point where i'm confident that this change to really entertaining wrestling and storylines is permanent, and they're not going to drop the ball. Almost.

One little thing, Jerry Lawler needs to stop calling Vickie Guererro fat. Hey king, go get some more plastic surgery!

The commentary on the Riley/Swagger match was way more entertaining than the match. And what the hell happened with that finish?

They're trying to rebuild the tag team division and make it relevant again. So instead of just putting two singles wrestlers together, aka evan bourne and kofi.. with no reason as to why they'd team up (unless i'm mistaken).. give us a reason for them teaming up, make them a tag team.. a proper tag team!


So much for giving Rey big plans for this summerslam/raw weekend. I guess maybe it was because of his knee injury, but, I never really believed they were going to have him win the championship.

So I have to talk about John Cena's promo too, because it was very, very good.
He's talking about integrity, bringing as much integrity to the WWE title as possible. I like it.
Cena showing some more attitude.
I love it. Not trying to be funny, no little jokes, just attitude and passion. That's what i want to see. And that's what Cena is giving us.

So what happens now?

Well, I think next week's RAW won't answer everything, I think we'll find out if CM Punk gets to fight Nash, but i'm guessing that wouldn't be at Night of Champions right.. because that's the Pay per view where it's all championship matches. So Vengeance? that's about 2 months away though. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Clearly it looks to be Del Rio vs Cena coming up at some point. Maybe the night of champions match will be a Triple Threat. Punk vs Cena vs Del Rio. that makes sense.

I think Miz needs to be in there too though, they can't leave him off of two pay per views (I know he was at summerslam, but it was a last minute match)

Should be an interesting few weeks. Can't wait to see more CM Punk, more Nash, more Cena (wow, i just said that). Who knows, maybe more of the kliq will show up.. X-Pac works for WWE right?...

That's it, i'm done, if you don't like it, go suck a lemon.



No comments:

Post a Comment