August 14, 2011

The Calm before the storm No. 2

Welcome back to the couch of creativity, with me, The Armchair Mouthpiece. I'm here to shoot some truthfacts right in your learning holes.

So I did something like this just before money in the bank. Basically, just going to give my thoughts on everything that's led us up to where we are at this point.

So I find it a bit strange that there are only 5 matches on the card right now for Summerslam. Thinking about it, there's a few reasons I've come up with as to why. Maybe we'll get some unnannounced matches, maybe for the Tag Team titles, maybe the US title.. Miz has to be involved somehow too.

Maybe there's going to be a crazy ending. Like money in the bank, but a lot longer. I don't mean the same as money in the bank, what i mean is where the end of the last match isn't the end of the pay per view.. where there's maybe a run in, or a return of some kind. I find it interesting that Paul Bearer is headed to L.A this weekend. Coincidence? maybe. Undertaker returning with Paul Bearer for one final run up to Mania? Well, like i said, only 5 matches on the card.. and 180 minutes of Pay Per View to fill. Remember the Royal Rumble 2006 where he came back at the end of the main event? ....

The other possibility I thought of was that maybe one of the MiTB winners will be cashing in their championship match. I mean think about it. 180 minutes.. 5 matches. the main events usually go 20-30 minutes.. Punk/Cena at mitb went about 45. But even so, say three 20 minute matches, that's one hour, 2 main event matches makes up maybe another hour and a quarter.. that leaves 45 minutes. enough time for another match, some kind of returning character, some kind of surprise anyway. Who knows, anything seems possible with what's been happening lately..

I would imagine though, we're going to see more than 5 matches.

Now what do I think are the matches to look forward to? Well, Cena/Punk is obvious. But the other two that i'm going to pick are the Diva's Title match, simply because of the storyline, and also Daniel Bryan/Wade Barrett. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is Michael Cole's commentary. Let's hope JR gets a lot of air time, I'm sick of hearing how "daniel bryan is a nerd".

Wade Barrett is definitely doing well for himself lately, he comes across as a legitimate tough guy, kind of like William Regal. Sure, maybe it's got something to do with the accent, but whatever works, you run with right? So that match is definitely one to watch out for.

I'm not doing predictions of who I think is going to win, because more often than not i'm wrong when i do that. So I'll just leave it at that.

The Diva's title match. I doubt it's going to be a wrestling classic, you need two great wrestlers, not just one, to pull that off. What it should be, is a changing of the times. As Beth Phoenix said, enough of the pretty perky divas. Let's have a champion that can actually wrestle, going against opponents that can actually wrestle. Except.. there's not that many on the roster that have that ability. I mean to the level that Beth Phoenix, Natalya, .. does Kharma still count?

Honestly it seems a little strange that 2 of their more talented female wrestlers have been let go or have quit in the past week. The skeptic in me wants to say that it's an angle with Gail Kim, but who knows? As long as we don't have to see hair takedowns in every diva's match, i'll be happy.

I think the Orton/Christian match is one match too many. Times have changed, at first I thought.. "but rememeber when feuds would last an entire year, building to a wrestlemania.. with the two opponents actually wrestling each other for that whole year? or at least longer than 2 months before people get bored. The last time any rivalry wokred that well was Edge vs Cena. And before you yell at me, Rock/Cena isn't the same thing because the rock ISN'T there. Which makes me feel like he's the heel. I don't care what he says, he's not showing up for more than a few "special appearances" before mania. And I'm fairly sure we won't see him before Survivor Series actually in a WWE ring.

So onto the main event. The big questions.. Why did Triple H insert himself into the match.. I see people writing about how it's an ego thing behind the scenes, HHH can't help but put himself into the spotlight.. These people seem to think Vince isn't running the show anymore. Hey people... wake up! Vincent K McMahon is still running the show.
So what's going to happen? Is HHH going to screw one of them? Well, from what we saw on RAW, they're trying to get us to think that CM Punk is under the impression that HHH and Cena have worked this all out, that the "fix is in" as he put it. I think we're going to see HHH and Cena come to blows honestly. I think there will be some kind of swerve. And I think by the end of the night, we will know for sure wether or not Triple H is a heel or a face in this new role.

I vote for heel.

Please, Heel Triple H is awesome. Remember 2003? Evolution? Amazing.

I HOPE CM Punk retains. John Cena doesn't need the title right now. He's got the feud with the Rock. Just off the top of my head.. here's a "how i might book it".

Cena gets screwed by HHH, siding with Punk (everything we've seen so far has been a swerve to get our minds away from that). This ushers in a slightly less PG environment. Punk goes on to feud with Mysterio, Miz, whoever is in the title picture. Hell he and John morrison had some amazing matches on ECW.
Cena meanwhile is pissed with HHH, and challenges him to a match at.. Vengeance? apt name. Maybe HHH says no, but you can fight this guy.. we get Nash back in the ring as Diesel.

So this keeps Cena in the main event picture, but not in the title picture. Then we're leading up to survivor series, Punk and HHH come to blows somehow, and the angle that i've seen on wrestling news sites takes place and we get Punk/HHH at Survivor Series. Maybe HHH gets involved with a Punk title defense and costs him the title inadvertently again at Vengeance.

As to who the WWE champion may be if all that happened.. who knows.. Rey (if he's healthy).. if not, Miz is the obvious choice. Or push a new guy for a few months. See if he can handle it. I'm talking Ziggler, or Morrison (let's hope not morrison). Del Rio even.

Here's a thought. Undertaker has been mentioned in WWE magazine in an article about the Vengeance PPV. Maybe, and again, off the top of my head... Taker returns at Vengeance, basically calls out Cena ( I don't know why!) But we get Cena/Taker at survivor series, in which Rock interferes.I don't know, I know that you need to keep Cena relevant though, which means either Title matches or big name matches.


I'd be interested to know what people think of that, it's the first time i've done anything like that, thinking about how i'd have a story go. Now obviously I claim no experience in actually booking anything, it's just some ideas i have. Please let me know what you think.

So to sum up, looking forward to CM Punk/Cena, and Bryan/Barrett mainly. Hopefully we get something extra, a surprise of some kind.

Summerslam awaits.
Until next time, this is the Armchair Mouthpiece, returning to the couch.

All knowledge, no matter how miniscule, how minute, will always be of use eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment