July 20, 2011

Hey hey hey... good... bye?

Welcome to another installment of truthfacts, from me, the Armchair Mouthpiece. I have been posting fairly regularly, almost daily since i began this, only a few days ago, but i'm thinking that eventually this might become maybe a once or twice a week thing, with the exception of doing little reviews of pay per views that i watch. I'm not going to do detailed reviews of Raw, Smackdown, or iMPACT every week, I feel like there's enough places for people to find that kind of thing already. But what I do plan on doing is talking about the parts that interest me the most, and my thoughts on where some of the bigger angles are going. I do plan on writing a post about TNA very soon, but considering that the WWE is, let's face it, amazing at the moment, I'm focusing on that. I will just say however, I love the evolution of Sting's character.

So Monday night Raw this week, at least for me, was the most anticipated show I can remember in years.. maybe ever. Would CM Punk be there? What would they be doing? Would Cena be "fired"?.. I have to say first off, I kinda skimmed through the matches on Raw this week, though I did read that they were excellent. But for me, this storyline is the draw. I assumed Raw would start with Vince McMahon, though as soon as I heard him not say CM Punk, I began to get a little dis-heartened. Then he talked about the tournament to declare a new WWE champion.. to me this is a good way to keep people interested, in the sense of "will Punk show up and declare himself the "real" champion?".. but, something about this RAW felt like they were done with the Punk side of the angle..which if that's true, is a shame, because he is the best right now. I really like that Cena is showing attitude though. But, it makes sense not to turn him heel. They're building a match a year in advance. Cena get's booed already, but part of what is going to make Rock/Cena great, is the crowd. "Let's go Cena/Let's go Rocky!".. You turn Cena heel, possibly the "cena sucks" fans, change their mind.. and those "cena sucks" fans, are the fans that will chant "Rocky, rocky!".. so they're left stuck in the middle. It makes sense to keep Cena in this face persona for now.

So the other part of Raw that i want to write about (obviously) is the final segment. Now, living in Australia, we get Raw roughly around a day and a half later than the USA. Plenty of time to read the results. I chose not to do that this week, I wanted to be truly surprised. And wow, I was definitely surprised. Cena standing up to McMahon.. "I will walk on someone else's show and keep doing this BROTHER!".. nicely said, I wasn't expecting them to mention TNA in any way at all. It was good. It was unexpected.

Speaking of unexpected, I wonder how many people thought Cena would get "fired"... I myself, was of the opinion that someone would interrupt, I thought what could happen, especially after watching Rey's reaction to Vince postponing the championship match, maybe a group of wrestlers would walk out to the stage, and go with the whole "If you fire Cena, then we all quit" angle. I thought maybe we'd hear from Punk. To be honest, after thinking about this for a day or so, I am glad we didn't hear from Punk. It's not like he's disappeared, just follo him on twitter @CMPunk to see what he's doing. Great stuff by the way Punk, love the belt in the fridge.

What i REALLY didn't expect, was to see Triple H. That music hit, and I just went "holy sh*t!" this was at 4 in the morning though so it was more of a whisper. What's he going to say? Where's this going? Is he coming down as a son?.. It was really intruiging, and most importantly, it made me want to keep watching. It made Raw just as interesting as last week, just as must-see, even though there was no CM Punk.
HHH was awesome. Seriously, put him in a good movie, people might just be impressed with his acting. I know X-Pac commented on it saying that this was all real, but C'mon.. everyone should remember that Pac works for WWE. HHH using the kliq to further an angle? Of course that'd happen!
So now we have HHH in charge.. is he going to be a good boss? a bad boss? What does it all mean for Cena? Is HHH going to be able to "bring Punk back" when Vince couldn't? This could be the biggest angle for a really long time.. it's exciting, it's different, it feels "real".. I don't care what anyone says, those tears from both HHH and Vince sold this angle amazingly well. Seriously, go back, and watch when Vince is left in the ring to close the show. The crowd goes from singing Hey hey hey, goodbye.. to chanting "thank you Vince" and applauding him. To me that says, they bought it. Hell, I bought it. I mean, when have we ever seen Vince McMahon with tears in his eyes before for an angle? I would argue never. Sure, he's mostly been the heel, but still.. emotion captures people, and that's what has been missing from wrestling I think for a while.

I'm not saying there's no passion for what they're doing, clearly the wrestlers are passionate about what they do, but storylines with Emotion. And i don't just mean crying. Any kind of emotion. that's what we saw from Punk, honestly, that's what we see from John Cena. When you see him say "I love this".. on this week's raw.. you can feel it. It's real. It's true. It's not just a line on a script.

So to finish up, I think that we won't see CM Punk on tv for a while now, I kinda hope i'm wrong, because I can see an angle with 2 world champions, akin to when Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon were both the Intercontinental Champions. But Punk would come back as a good guy, I think that's pretty obvious, so they'd have to be careful who has the belt if and when that were to happen. I like the idea that i read, that maybe we'll get promos or vignettes of Punk, in the style of the NWO.. "the following message is brought to you by CM Punk" etc.. but with the new angle of HHH taking over, maybe the CM Punk stuff was a launching pad for this much bigger angle of the new Era in the WWE.. maybe with some more .. attitude?

Well that's it, Unless something major happens, my next post is going to be about TNA.
Oh before i go.. Sin Cara, suspended for drugs? ... way to kill your nearly dead push buddy!... See ya in TNA within a year I think.
So that's it, hope you enjoyed reading, follow me on twitter @TheACMouthpiece ... leave a comment if you have something to say.


What's it like to be me? You will never, ever know!

No comments:

Post a Comment